Thursday 7 May 2015

7/5/15- Design Development

Today I continued to generate design ideas working with my designs from yesterday and finding the shapes which work the best. I have also been trying to add flats into my designs so I think about the technicalities of my designs and how they are actually constructed as this is a very important part in understanding the clothes that I am designing. I think from drawing flats I am getting better at them but I could do with being more accurate at times and precise so that I ensure my proportions are correct. Doing this is also allowing me to think about where features such as seams and zips are being placed meaning my designs have greater detail. 

From today I am starting to figure out shapes that are working such as coat silhouettes and skirt combinations but I think I need to go back into my research and early development and work on some more ideas particularly of tops or different details I could add to create different mixes and so when I put together my final small collection there is excitement going through all the looks rather than just the same details repeated. To do this I can try and extract from the wealth in history that I looked at and also details from photographs I have taken such as of homeless people I have seen or details from buildings like the National Gallery which I visited. I also need to go back and develop my prints more, correcting the trap lines and possibly playing with background which I didn’t do before. This will give me more to work with when deciding on my final collection. 

The next step is to go back into my research and just quickly draw down the interesting details which I can then develop into details for tops and skirts etc. I am also going to focus this weekend on constructing my duvet coat, I first want to work out the final shape by draping it on the stand till I am happy with it so that I can then dye it before sewing it together. If I can get this done by early next week it means I can focus on constructing my skirt which I haven’t physically experimented with or sampled yet. 

(Sketchbook pages, authors own, 7/5/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment