Sunday 17 May 2015

17/5/15- Coat Construction

Today I focused on creating my duvet coat. At the start of the day I was stuck on the left side of the coat, I was happy with the right side but the left felt messy and uneven and I didn't like the sleeve shape I had created last weekend. I also needed to shorten it as otherwise it was going to cover up my skirt I have made so wouldn't look right as an overall look. I decided to just experiment with creating a sleeve by draping the duvet in different ways till I was happy with the shape. I had to think about keeping volume while creating a smooth shape as this is what I had designed and this is what I wanted so that it created a contrast to the structured skirt. After draping a while I managed to create a simple sleeve that works with the rest of the garment and is voluminous. I had to sew the coat together by hand because of the thickness of the material with the duvet stuffing. Overall this went fairly well, I think possibly I could have been a bit neater with my stitches as they are quite obvious in places which does make the appearance a bit lumpy in places. This looks okay were fabric is joining but in some of the more smooth areas the stitches are very obvious so I may need to remove these as may come out bad when photographed. I then added poppers to the coat to make it functional and wearable.

(Constructing duvet coat, authors own, 17/5/15)

I think if I were to improve the coat I would dye it again so it was darker in colour as it is very faint and I think I slightly stronger colour would look better. I like the feel of the coat as is voluminous so does feel like your wrapped up in a duvet which is what I had hoped to achieve, especially around the collar which is large and wraps around your neck. Next I am going to finalise my final collection so I can create interesting illustrations as well as flats and technicalities this week which will help round up my project. I am also going to plan a photoshoot for my garments which I hope to do Friday so I need to consider location and details possibly looking for existing shoots as inspiration. I don't have experience with photoshoots etc so I am going to try talk to my promotion friends at Ravensbourne to get any advice and tips.

(Duvet coat, 17/5/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment