Monday 11 May 2015

11/5/15- Developing Print and Duvet Coat

This weekend I have spent my time developing my prints, correcting the trap lines and experimenting with scale and experimenting with colour. I think I have improved with print in this project I have a better understanding of repeating them and using the offset tool as well as what works well in the print. I think from further developing the prints I have found that using a background colour completely changes the look of the print, it can lift it or change the mood to be more cold/ dark etc. The two prints below are my favourite, they combine the different elements of the project but have moved on from my initial designs and feel more interesting. I think I could improve them by playing with scale more thinking about how they would work on garments and how the size of the print would look. I also need to think if I actually want to use them on a garment because I'm not sure whether they are ready for being put onto a garment as I don't think I have developed them enough onto designs so I think I will just print them as final samples and put them on a board for presenting with my work.

Today I began draping my duvet coat. I dyed it yesterday using Dylon and sadly it came out more of a silver shade rather than a pewter but I am going to work with this and mix it with dark colours so it has a greater contrast to the rest of the look. At the end of today I am also not happy with how the shape has worked out, it looks quite lumpy and I think I need to re-drape it to see if it can look better possibly trying to bring back more volume to the coat. I like having the velvet sleeve with it though which is a developed from my initial idea and I think it brings a contrast and an element of the rich into the duvet. 

Tomorrow I need to create a toile for my skirt so I can know how much fabric I'll need so I can buy it and start making it. I haven't decided completely what fabrics I want in my skirt so this is something I also need to decide tomorrow. I am getting quite worried at the moment with the amount of time I've got to make the garments but I know I can do it once I have the pattern pieces sorted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment