Tuesday 12 May 2015

12/5/15- Pattern Cutting

Today I began pattern cutting for my skirt. I started with a basic skirt block that I cut out and using my models measurements altered. This basic shape is for me to build on top of. After talking to Becca I am going to create the pleats and ruffle details on a band to be put over the top of the skirt as this is the best way to add all the detail without affecting where I can put a zip and without it being too bulky. I also decided that I was going to add a printed panel to the front of the skirt instead of the part of a suit jacket as this was also proving to be too bulky and I would like to include the print as I spent the time designing them.

I think the pattern cutting went quite well today, I feel a bit more confident with it and I also feel I understand pleats now which I didn't know how to do before. I also feel that developing the garment on the stand is helping me understand what is working and this is why my ideas have changed. Today I also went to get fabric for my skirt, I have decided to use a cotton drill for the ruffles as has some body and will hold its shape and a fairly thin cotton sateen for the pleats as it will mean they will as well as hold their shape will drape too. For the printed section I am using a fleece as it has a really nice texture when heat pressed and I think I can use it to hold the shape which will be reminiscent of a suit collar using interfacing to stiffen it. I am still stuck on what fabric to use for the main body of the skirt as I think I need a shiny fabric possibly to bring back to richness I have been looking at. I am going to look at more fabrics tomorrow to decide.

Tomorrow I need to carry on making my skirt starting to construct it properly as well as finishing my toile. I need to remember to record my process as I am working as I am finding I am changing my mind quite often. I am also going to print out my final fabric samples as well as the panel for the front of my skirt.
(My skirt toile progressing, authors own, 12.5.15)

No comments:

Post a Comment