Thursday 14 May 2015

14/5/15- Garment Development

Today I continued with the making of my skirt, working out the final sections in calico and paper on the stand to get the correct shapes as well as cutting out my fabric ready for making. I mainly worked out a lot of my shapes by eye and experimenting or by building off the basic block. By making the toile onto the stand it has allowed me to amend sizes such as the width of the ruffles or the fullness as I am making so the different elements are in proportion. One element of this I have found quite hard is getting the length of the garment right as I feel the mannequin only basically being the torso or trunk of the body gives a slight distorted view of length so I have to make sure I continue to measure it against a body to ensure I make the garment the correct length. Now I have worked out my toile pieces and pinned them together I can begin to sew the real skirt together as I am happy with how it looks. A lot of my garment is about accuracy and keeping all the elements neat so they flow as one so I need to make sure I sew accurately and press it correctly as otherwise I think it could look messy which will ruin the skirt.


Today I also spoke to Becca about my sketchbook and improving it as it doesn’t feel very exciting at the moment. I believe my issue is I just draw into my sketchbook designs as I think of them knowing what they should look like in my head so I forget to include reference or colour or samples/ stand work with them to explain my ideas so I now need to just go back and improve on this. Key points I need to work on are: adding in references, loads of colour and fabrication, involving my stand work more and making sure its not just all drawing. The method of making sure there are always three different methods and processes on a page is really applicable to me in order to make someone understand my thoughts and processes. Speaking to someone else about my work was helping as it gave a clearer idea of what was missing and what wasn't working which I couldn't see so well as it is my own work. 

This weekend my main focuses are going to be my garments and getting them finished so they can be photographed tuesday so that I can go back and improve and tidy up my work so it is as high standard as I can get. In the back of my mind I also need to be thinking of the best way to display my work in an interesting way at assessment that represents what my project is about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment