Wednesday 13 May 2015

13/5/15- Garment and Print Development

Today I got both my test prints and my final samples printed. I got them in a range of sizes from a5 to a3 and in both fleece and satin so that I can make boards next week. Overall I am pleased with how they have turned out, the prints are strong and seeing them on fabric gives me a better idea of what scales were good as well as the colours. From printing them I like the damask print with a background as it sort of brings both the rich and poor elements together whereas with the rubbish print I like it with a white background as it gives a really bold contrast of black to white making the print more dramatic, I also found the background took away from the details like the small areas with newsprint. I am also pleased that none of the prints have ended up with trap lines and I feel like they do flow and don’t appear to be too repetitive or linear which is something I was finding earlier in the project. In future with prints I think it would be good to play around with more fabrics, I only tried out three but I think testing on a hessian or something rougher would have been a good experiment and might’ve created an exciting outcome. 

(My prints, 13/5/15)

Today I also continued to work on the toile for my skirt, I think it is slowly coming together and I am working out how to create the elements of it. Today I experimented with the ruffles down the side, they are created using rectangles and gathering the top edge, I found from creating them on the stand that they needed more fabric so were fuller as I think they need to be quite dramatic. I now need to translate this back onto paper to make a pattern piece for them. Tonight I am going to begin constructing the skirt as I feel I can create the elements as I work them out which will stop me getting behind. I am going to create the pleated section so I need to be careful to make sure they are accurate and that I iron them properly. 

(Developing toile for my skirt, 13/5/15)

I think at the moment I need to remember to work on my final line up for the project as well as work on my garments as otherwise I will be rushing it next week and not have the time to do finishing touches well and to a high standard I will be happy with. Tomorrow I need to continue constructing my skirt as well as continue designing. I also want to think about a simple top I could make to go with my skirt and coat as I think this will be better for having my garments photographed next week as will be a complete look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment