Tuesday 5 May 2015

5/5/15- Design Development

This weekend I began to expand on more detailing for the project. I looked at frills from extravagant clothing, bankers suits and a pair of tracksuit style trousers, I did this so I had more to contrast with the oversized draped fleece and duvet and to give my designs more detail which should make designs more successful and create more interesting paths for my outcomes. I mainly did this by picking out the details and drawing them become creating quick small sketches of tops or bottoms using these details in different ways and proportions. Particular details were more successful than others, I think the frills and sections of suit jacket worked the best as detailing particularly on the bottom half of the figure and from the tracksuit trousers the large pockets and three stripes. I found that all these details were most interesting on one half of the body instead of as dresses/ jackets etc as this is something different to my usual comfort zone so is pushing me. 

(Looking at details, authors own, 5/5/15)

Today began when I spoke to Sarah about my project, she told me that she liked having these new elements as a contrast to the duvet and fleece and that the almost very layered and almost throw together look contrasted with the minimal duvet was working well. She told me to think about how the rich are often quite over the top and sometimes obscene and that I could incorporate this with the layering. She told me that I should go back to the panelling idea and bring that back in and to work with the frills and suit sections. From this talk I manage to gain a bit more clarity to the ‘look’ of my collection and what I want from it, I also feel more confident with some of my ideas and layering. Sarah also made me realise I need to decide on fabrication and colours more strongly and that I should try and push myself in terms of colours as they feel very safe at the moment using black, grey, blue, white and golds. Some clashing or bolder colours could push the idea. 

From this talk I then began generating design ideas trying to merge all my ideas together and create a clearer picture. To help myself do this I decided to use the title 'A Confused Society: where the rich and poor are the same’ as a guide to how I want the collection to be a mix and contrast of both rather than one dominating the other. I think now I need to continue designing as I have been today creating looks contrasting the different aspects so I can work out what exactly I want to do for my outcome. I then also need to work in my colours and fabrics as this is very important in making my collection successful. This will also help me in planning what I am going to make as my outcome which I need to decide by the end of this week so I have enough time to make it. 

(Generating design ideas, authors own, 5/5/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment