Tuesday 14 April 2015

Nick Hedges

For the poor element to my project the photographer Nick Hedges has been quite influential. His series of photographs showing the poor in the UK in 1968-1972 for the charity Shelter show the hardship through the rough living conditions and the families specifically children. I find these photos very emotional which is why I like them so much and elements such as their surroundings and what the children are wearing inspirational. I have been starting to design from these, initially I have been focusing on one of my favourite images showing a young girl standing in a street with screwed up rubbish and newspaper on the floor around her. Elements I have taken are the look of the rubbish and her cardigan and how it's too small. From this I have done some stand work looking at the rubbish, created a print from an observation as well as quick designs trying to focus on layering and silhouettes.

I think elements of this have worked well, I have tried to think more about layering which I previously have struggled with. I do now need to start to think about colours, a lot of the photography I have used is black and white but I think I need to think about colours that are better representation of my themes and I can use photographs I have taken to do this. With my prints these will work well with blocks of colours so this is also something I can now develop. 

What I am struggling with at the moments is the rich element to this project, I am finding the poor really fascinating so I think I need to spend some time now just focusing on the rich and what I want to do for this. I have had some ideas of how the rich glamorise their lives which can cover up the truth in their lives and also using a bit of the aesthetic look of the rich of the extravagant surroundings and also a metallic element such as gold or copper which will contrast with the poor look. I think talking to my tutor about my project will be useful because I think my thoughts are quite confused so this could help me just clear my mind and make me more focused on particular ideas.



(Images, authors own, 13/4/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment