Wednesday 25 March 2015

Week 2- initial designs


Today I started by setting up a space to put my work on the walls, Becca suggested we do this so we can start to feel like we are working in a studio. Doing this helped me to organise my thoughts on the project and pick out the key elements of what I have gathered so far. So far I am finding the 'poor' images with the gathered rubbish most inspiring. However I am struggling with how to use these at the moment with designing as they give me more textural ideas rather than garment shapes. 

To try and overcome my design block I started drawing from the work of Caroline Achaintre which I saw at the Tate last Thursday. I wanted to incorporate the elements I liked most which were the block panels of colours and the fringed detail. I also used images of homeless people and incorporated elements of their clothing such as jumper necklines, layers of jackets or elasticated hems with the fringing and panels. I am quite pleased with these initial ideas, I am trying to push my ideas forward thinking about layering in my looks to make them more interesting. However I do need to think more about the rich element of the project, I am finding it easier to research the poor and I think these incorporate some of the roughness I wanted. I also now need to work out how to pick out shapes for garments from my research and start to experiment as I think I need this to start the design development more successfully.



These could lead me to experiment with knitwear to create designs like this using fringing and layering colours together. 

(All images: Authors Own, 25/3/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment