Wednesday 18 March 2015

Initial Research

To start my initial research I started to gather initial imagery and articles which relate to my topic and plan how I can gather more.

I have started to gather articles relating to the political side to rich and poor as well as watching documentaries I have found. In particular I have found the documentary/film Born Rich (2003) as well as the television documentary Rich Kid, Poor Kid (2008) very interesting. Born Rich showed the life of some very rich young American heirs and their opinions on their wealth, it showed often how they are sheltered from real life. They believe money is one of the most important things and how their life resolves round it. Although it also showed that the money doesn't make them happy and how it can stop them from discovering their own dreams as they have all the money they need. Rich Kid, Poor Kid showed the stereotypes that the poor and rich have of each other. It was very honest told through teenagers eyes.

I've also started to gather imagery both what I have taken as well as online, mainly of homeless people on the street. These show the emotions mainly through facial expressions as well as general ideas of people, through what they are wearing and what possessions they have.

(Images, Authors Own, 18/3/15)

Finally I am starting to incorporate artists and movements. Initially I am looking into Jim Goldberg, the art movement Arte Povera and the book Landscapes for the Homeless. At this point I am quite pleased with how my research is going, I am going to exhibitions tomorrow to gather further artist research and to gain some historical research into art and poor. I think this will help me start to think about how I can begin to experiment from my research as this is something I am struggling with at the moment.

(Images from Jim Goldberg Rich and Poor book, https://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=2K7O3RB0TS0F, Accessed: 18/3/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment