Tuesday 21 April 2015

21/4/15- Design Development

Today began with a group tutorial with Sarah. We went round discussing our projects which was helpful in seeing how the others are progressing and what works well. The projects with lots of experimentation and ideas work well compared to those which feel a bit narrow. A girl in the tutorial, Scarlett, has a really interesting project called granny divers, which I like because it is unusual and clever. She also has good thoughts about volume and character in her project which is I think something I could be influenced by. The tutorial was helpful in moving my project on, it clarified some of my ideas about the rich giving me the confidence to take them further. Some ideas I was given were to think about the irony in fashion how often people pay hundreds of pounds for clothing that is ripped or looks worn so to do this I could look into distressing fabric manipulation for example how denim is acid washed. I also need to do more primary research on the rich interiors while I'm designing so I could visit the v&a or the national gallery. I think overall from the tutorial my project is developing at a good pace I just need to really focus on generating designs in quantity as well as sampling. One particular area I need to work on is fabrication and colour, which I am lacking in the project and will help me to work towards an outcome better. 

An app which Dan showed me last week called Adobe Color is helping with my issues with colour, it allows you to take a picture and pick out the colours within it. I think I can use this for in particular my pictures of rich interiors and the homeless men I've photographed to pick out key colours which could help me develop a scheme I like. 

In the afternoon I took part in a design development workshop focusing on generating ideas using the stand. I used this time to develop my rich idea by experimenting with photocopies of a drawing I did on extravagant interiors. I think having this time specifically to do stand work was helpful as it forced me to get over my problems of the rich side and develop the project. I liked some of the shapes I produced specifically ones with an imbalance of one side 3D and one side flat on the body. From these I can now create quick drawings, so I pick up the pace a bit I am going to try and do at least 50 designs tonight using this stand work thinking about silhouette and shape. This then means tomorrow I can think about how this could work with the poor idea of a duvet on the stand and also I could think about fabric manipulation and it might give me a more clear idea of an image of the collection and what I think the designs will loosely look like. 



(Standwork from workshop, authors own, 21/4/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment