Wednesday 29 April 2015

29/4/15- Print and Stand Work


Today I printed samples of the prints I was designing yesterday. I printed using three different fabrics: a polyester silk, a polycotton and a fleece fabric to test how the colours came out and what variations there were. Overall I am pleased with most of the prints, I like the rubbish print and the one with blue damask because they are quite abstract and I think could work well on garments, I think the grey and gold print is possibly a bit too busy and traditional so I may consider redesigning this if I want to use it in my final designs. Of the gold and grey print, the printed gold colour came out better than I thought which is promising and if I wanted it in my final print I could add it into the other prints I like. I was also surprised at how well the print came out on the fleece, the heat flattened it which made it appear almost velvety and is very soft so could work well with my theme of having to stay warm. The colours came out very vibrantly on the silk material which I think could contrast with the duvet I have been experimenting with as is much more elegant and delicate compared to the bold, voluminous duvet.

(Print Samples, Authors Own, 29/4/15)

This afternoon I then started some stand work using fleece fabric, I was surprised how easily manipulable it is and the shapes that could be draped. From doing this I found some interesting shapes I could develop. The shapes I found worked well in particular are below and I like the large draped sleeves and the voluminous shapes because they remind me of when you scrunch up in clothes to keep warm. I think I could develop these into some interesting jumper shapes which I could then combine my prints with. In order to improve these I think I need to consider more how the garments would be worn thinking about seams and openings etc.  

(Stand Work, Authors Own, 29/4/15)

After today I feel a bit more confident in printing as this wasn't a process I had used before and having physically tested my designs using different fabrics I can now see what is successful and I can now develop these into my designs. The stand work today has also given me a new avenue to work with that I can now incorporate with my existing ideas and this will hopefully help shape my collection. The next step I think is to go back into designing playing with the prints and the silhouettes of the duvet and fleece. I could do this by collaging or drawing. I would also like to experiment a little with machine embroidery using gold thread before I decide on the processes I will use for my outcome as this isn't an avenue I have explored yet. I will do this tomorrow using the sewing machines at Ravensbourne as with my own personal machine I can't lower the teeth enabling me to embroider.

No comments:

Post a Comment