Thursday 30 April 2015

30/4/15- Design Development

Today I began with trying to work out a difficulty with my prints where I was trying to work out why my prints were becoming disjointed at some of the repeats creating visible lines where shapes didn’t match up. To resolve this I asked Dan what was happening and how I could fix it. He told me I was offsetting the design wrong and that I had to make sure the print was cropped properly to the square and that I had to actually fix these areas before I defined the pattern. To do this I needed to merge the print layers and offset these continually checking that shapes were matched up and if not I could draw in areas or add in new shapes to fix it. He showed me the clone tool where you can selection an area to copy and paint it on like copy and pasting which will be useful as I didn’t know how to use it before. Dan also gave me some advice on my prints that I should consider the white space. Initially I had made the background white on purpose so its like my fleece and duvet but I think maybe now I should play with backgrounds in different colours as well as play with the scale of the print so the different prints are different scales as this will help marry them together. 

(Screen shot of working on print fixing joint in the centre, Authors Own, 30/4/15)

I then experimented with free machine embroidery testing out how it works as well as on different thicknesses of fabric. When doing it I tried to create abstract style shapes which reminded me of the rubbish print I have made. I found that I liked the embroidery on silk with two layers of fleece underneath as it gave it a more raised textured finish which more closely resembled a quilting look. I also tried out using gold thread on black silk which had an interesting finish because of the contrast in colours and it made the embroidered design stand out greater. Overall from this I realise I would need a lot more practise if I use this process in my final designs as I am not very good at guiding the machine to create neat or precise stitching. However I think I could explore the gold on black idea further as I think it worked well and could make an interesting finishing process in a garment.

At the end of the day I then spoke to Becca about my work and she gave me lots of things to improve on in order to get my grade higher. I need to remember colour, to colour in my designs especially skin colour for my people as well as back drawings of my designs so i have considered the 360 degree design. In terms of my theme she suggested I look into second hand clothes, whether they are too big/ too small, look into details of rich peoples clothing now and in history to find details to clash and deprivation. I also need to think more about the silhouettes I design, she said they are too similar throughout the whole project like I have just repeated the same shape and that I should take ideas from my research in terms of details and to think about more tailored silhouettes to clash with my existing ideas. I also need to think about the ‘woman’ who would wear my designs.

After today I feel like I have a lot of work to do and I am not quite sure where to start. I am going to focus for the next bit on the bottom half of the figure, skirts and trousers, as I have put too much focus on the top half so this will help improve my project and hopefully I can create some designs which are more dynamic and take my work further. I also need to go back into my work and improve aspects thinking about colour and adding new silhouettes so my designs feel less repetitive. After this I can begin to add in some new ideas through the unfitting clothing and rich detailing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment