Thursday 23 April 2015

23/4/15- Design Development

Today I continued with design development focusing on designing from my collages I created yesterday. I mainly did this by extracting the silhouettes and shapes I liked and turned them into garments playing with how it would work in terms of construction and proportion. I did this to develop my ideas of how I can combine the duvet style garment with the panelling idea. I did quick designs focusing on line and shape rather than detail as this helps me to see what is successful in terms of a silhouette and what I should then take forward and develop with colour, print and fine details.

I think so far I have found some interesting shapes to work with, specifically an oversized quilted jumper and an abstract skirt. These worked well as I was focusing on the separate garments and how they could be interesting on their own which is not something I usually do as I tend to veer towards designing the look as a whole. This gives me more freedom in discovering what I can develop as I am not just focusing on whole looks. Today I also tried to improve on designing garments for the bottom half of the figure. I am pleased with some of the ideas, they have given me the confidence to develop this more which I think I needed.

What I can improve on from today is still colour, I think I need to add these back into my designs so I can begin to work out how it will work on the garments and in different combinations. I also need to draw the back and side views of my designs as this will be a more professional way of designing and will make me consider the 360 degree design rather than just the front.

Next I am going to continue with the quick designs exploring all the ideas and silhouettes I have. Hopefully by doing this over the weekend, next week I will be able to begin deciding what my final designs could begin to look like. This will allow me to more deeply explore my final colour scheme as well as experiment with fabrics, technique sampling and the collection.

(Moodboard and design development, authors own, 23/4/15)

No comments:

Post a Comment